Tuesday 25 February 2014

A couple of articles on class in Australia

The Conversation is running a series on class in Australia.

In Bogans and hipsters: we’re talking the living language of class Christopher Scanlon argues that the user of labels like bogan and hipster proves that Australia is not a classless society. I especially liked the ending:
Once again, I kicked off the tutorial by asking if they thought class existed in modern Australia. They looked at me as if the answer were obvious: of course it did.

I asked one student why he was so certain. He replied simply:

    I live in Frankston and work at Woolworths.
In Denial to celebration: political responses to class in Australia Geoffrey Robinson looks at the reasons why conservatives supported economic egalitarianism in the middle part of the 20th century and now oppose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment